BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Apr 24, 2008

Boleyn Hot

I recently finished the book "The Other Boleyn Girl". I spent only one week to read the entire thing. This book irritated me because it was so well written that I could not put it down. Actually, I liked it, I liked it a LOT. I learned a thing or two about life and love. I think I am also developing some new inspiration for the book I have been writing off and on since high school. I do not plan on actually putting this book together until after I am married, but that day is coming up close so I need to prepare for it anyway. But first, I want to discuss what I have learned from this book.

The story takes place in England under the rule of Henry the 8th. Queen Kathrine was unable to bear a son for Henry. She gave birth to one daughter, Princess Mary, and the rest of her children were either miscarriages or stillborn. Henry began to loose faith and interest in his wife because he so desired a male heir to the throne of England. And so, the king took an interest to Mary Boleyn, only fourteen years old and a maid in the queen's court. Mary's greedy, ambitious family forced her to let the king bed with her in hope that she would bear him a bastard son which would elevate the status of the Boleyn family and possibly put Mary's boy on the throne. At the time, Mary was already married at twelve years old to another man named William Carey. But Mary's family made William stand aside while the king bedded his wife.
Mary, scared to death at what she was being forced to do by her family went reluctantly into the king's chamber and bedded with him.

I just can't imagine what Mary was feeling. To her family, she was nothing more than a card played in a gamble to win a higher status. They did not care about her virtue, her feelings, or even the fact that she was already married to the man they had previously selected for her. Now here she was at fourteen and forced to be a mistress. Not just any mistress, the King of England!

The king called Mary into his chambers for many nights, she was considered his favorite and he gave her many expensive gifts. Mary began to fall in love with the king. She became pregnant and gave birth to her first child, whom she named Cathrine after the queen. A year later, she was pregnant again. Anne Boleyn, who was very jealous of her sister decided she wanted a piece of the king herself and began to seduce him while Mary was pregnant and unable to "please" him. Mary gave birth to a son, and he was named Henry after his father. The king was pleased with the boy, but only temporarily. He had mostly forgotten about Mary and instead looked to her sister Anne.

How heart wrenching! Mary was beginning to fall in love with King Henry. Everything looked as if it was all going to work out, especially if her child turned out to be a boy (and it was). But her jealous sister, Anne charmed the king and took his attention off of Mary, who was obviously no longer the king's favorite.

Now I am not about to give away the entire story, I would definitely suggest you read it for yourself. I would not suggest this book for anyone under 18 for some sexual content though. I wouldn't say it was really graphic, but awfully suggestive, you get the idea in a hurry.

0 comments: